Since having kids, Valentine's Day has changed from trendy restaurants with candlelight dinners to making heart-shaped pancakes for the kids.
That's OK with my husband and I because, after all, our kids are the biggest expression of our love. So, instead of celebrating Valentine's Day with just one night of romance, we find Valentine's Day is the perfect day for small surprises that say "I Love You!"
There are an endless number of small ways to show your family love this Valentine's Day, but here are a few fun and creative ideas to inspire you and make this Valentine's Day extra special.
1. A Sweet Treat. Make your family one of their favorite sweets. Maybe a favorite cookie to take in their lunch box or that Dad can take to work. Last year my kids and I had a blast making these easy Valentine's Day treats: Valentine’s Day Brownies, Chocolate Mousse and Chocolate Strawberry Pound Cake Hearts.
2. Turn dinner upside down. Let the kids eat dessert first on Valentine’s Day. Anything that breaks routine is big fun for kids.
3. Game On. Have your kids favorite game set up and ready to play when they come home from school on Valentine’s Day. You know the one they always want you to play that you never get around to? Today’s the day! Whether it's a board game, card game, computer game or video game take a moment to enjoy one of their favorite activities with them.
4. How do I love thee? For Valentine’s Day dinner, we like to play a game where we go around the table and say three things we love most about each other. It’s a great ego boost and forces you to say the little things that sometimes get lost and never said during the daily grind.
5. Balloons in the Bedroom. I saw this idea on Pinterest! I'm dying to try it this year. Jenny at the Crossing the Bugger Dixon Line blog tied 8 love notes to 8 helium balloons and put them over their bed to surprise her husband. How cute is that? Check out how she did it. (The kids would love it too.)
What fun, little gestures of love do you show your family?
For even more ideas to have fun on Valentine's Day, check out my Valentine's Day Fun Board on Pinterest.
Sue Kirchner is a family fun coach, blogger, kids party planner, and weekly contributor to Patch.com. Sue and her family fun ideas have been featured on TV, newspapers, magazines, blogs, as well as her own family fun site ChocolateCakeMoments.com.